Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Food & Night Markets



Since it's been a few days, I am not going to give a day by day account of my meals, but rather a general overview of the foods I ate. As I've mentioned, I am partial to the Night Market Street Vendor type foods here so most of my meals were eaten there, on the go while shopping for bargains. It's the 6th day of my trip right now, and I have not eaten in a formal restaurant yet and I'm not sure if I will for this entire trip. Besides from the Street Vendors, Food Courts are also quite abundant here. Every shopping location has one and they're usually pretty huge.

This is a popular Fried Food Cart. One can get anything fried here, the most popular being popcorn chicken, squid, tofu, and vegetables.



Of course for the more adventurous, there's always pig's intestine, chicken hearts, livers, and other assortment of organs from various animals.


On most nights, the Night Markets are pretty packed with hungry shoppers and it can get be hard to move around. On weekends, it's ten times worse. Here is a typical weeknight. This is a popular spot called, Wufenpu Commercial District. I went on a Tuesday night and it was very crowded.


On my first night here, I went with my brother and his family to the busiest Night Market in Taiwan called, Ximending Pedestrian District. This is technically not a night market but I really can't explain to you the differences so for all intents and purposes, they're all night markets in my book.


Ximending is indeed huge. Just imagine these streets above stretched over about a half a mile and going down probably 8 to 10 different ways and you have only one section of the entire district. We went on a Sunday night so it was only semi crowded and moving around was already difficult. While there, I had the best bowl of Taiwanese Rice noodle soup. This particular one had chunks of boiled pig intestine in it, yummy!



I will post more pictures of some of my favorite Street Cuisines later. Bon Appetit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home